FISHERIES (REGULATION OF Foreign Fishing Boats) ACT
Arrangement of Sections
1. Short title.
2. Administration of the Act.
3. Armed forces etc. to co-operate in implementation and enforcement of this Act.
CONTROL OVER FISHING AND RELATED ACTIVITIES BY Foreign Fishing Boats IN SRI LANKA WATERS
4. Prohibition of fishing and related activities by Foreign Fishing Boats.
5. Foreign Fishing Boats entering Sri Lanka waters without a permit to stow gear.
6. Foreign Fishing Boat permit.
7. Minister may reserve areas of Sri Lanka waters for fishing by Sri Lanka fishermen and local fishing boats.
8. Conditions of Foreign Fishing Boat permit.
9. Director-General’s power to vary certain conditions in the permit.
10. Director-General’s power to suspend or cancel permit.
11. Appeal to the Minister.
12. Fishing for research or scientific purposes.
POWERS OF AUTHORISED OFFICERS
13. Powers of authorised officers.
14. Protection of action.
15. Contravention of provisions of section 4 or section 5 an offence.
15A. Contravention of provisions of section 5 in the territorial waters to be an offence.
15B. Contravention of provisions of section 4 in the Exclusive Economic Zone to be an offence.
15C. Contravention of provisions of section 5 in the Exclusive Economic Zone to be an offence.
15D. Offence of aiding and abetting.
15E. Conclusion of proceedings within one month.
15F. No person to be enlarged on bail.
15G. Retention of boat, fishing gear etc. until conclusion of trial.
15H. Master, owner etc. deemed not to be guilty in certain circumstances.
16. Non-compliance of conditions of permit to be an offence.
17. Obstruction of authorised officers.
17A. All offences to be cognizable and non bailable.
17B. Application of the Prevention of Crimes Ordinance.
18. Power of Court to order forfeiture.
19. Disposal of forfeited goods.
19A. Abandoned foreign fishing boats.
19B. Release of abandoned foreign fishing boat pursuant to an inquiry.
19C. When to consider an abandoned foreign fishing boat as a foreign fishing boat.
20. Compounding of offences.
20A. Appointment of a panel of experts.
21. Release of boat against Bond or other security.
22. Boat to be held pending payment of fines.
24. Jurisdiction of the Courts.
25. Service of notice, summons or other document.
26. Minister’s power to make regulations.
26A. Contravention of regulation to be an offence.
27A. Establishment of the Reward Fund.
59 of 1979,
37 of 1982,
1 of 2018.
AN ACT to regulate control and manage fishing and related activities by foreign boats in Sri Lanka waters; and to provide for matters connected therewith or incidental thereto.
[Date of Commencement: 25th September, 1979]
This section of the article is only available for our subscribers. Please click here to subscribe to a subscription plan to view this part of the article.