- COMMENCEMENT DATE Sunday, 01 August 1954
KANDYAN MARRIAGE AND DIVORCE ACT
Arrangement of Sections
1. Short title.
2. Application of Act.
3. Marriages between persons subject to Kandyan law.
VALIDITY OF KANDYAN MARRIAGES AND LEGITIMISATION OF ILLEGITIMATE CHILDREN
4. Lawful age of marriage.
5. Prohibited degrees of relationship.
6. Second marriage without legal dissolution of first marriage invalid.
7. Legitimisation of illegitimate children.
CONSENT TO MARRIAGE
8. Consent required to marriage of minor.
9. Authority to give or refuse consent.
10. Consent of Registrar.
12. Power of court on appeals.
13. Parties to be given an opportunity of being heard.
14. Procedure at hearing of appeals.
15. Effect of order of court.
REGISTRATION OF KANDYAN MARRIAGES
16. Notice of prospective Kandyan marriage.
17. Entry and of Notice of a prospective of Kandyan marriage.
18. Issue of certificates in respect of Kandyan marriages.
19. Special licences for issue of marriage notice.
20. Objections to issue of marriage notice certificates.
21. Inquiries into objections to issue of marriage notice certificates.
22. Solemnisation of Kandyan marriages.
23. Registration of marriages.
23A. Issue of copy of marriage registration entry free.
24. What constitutes solemnisation and registration of Kandyan marriages in authorised places and between authorised hours.
24A. Resolution of doubts.
25. Transmission of duplicates of entries made by Registrars.
26. Replacement of original or duplicate marriage registration entry in certain circumstances.
27. Consequences of delay in solemnisation and registration of Kandyan marriages.
28. Registration to constitute best evidence of marriage.
29. Proof of certain matters not required once Kandy an marriage is registered.
30. Mode of rectifying failures to register, and errors in registration of Kandyan marriages.
31. Issue of marriage notice certificates and solemnisation and registration of Kandyan marriages upon alteration of divisions.
32. Grounds for divorce.
35. Special provisions relating to orders for the dissolution of Kandyan marriages.
36. Registration best evidence of divorce.
38. Assistant Registrar-General.
39. District Registrars.
40. Division of Kandyan provinces into divisions.
41. Appointment of Registrars of Kandyan Marriages.
42. Powers and duties of officers.
43. Residence, office and additional offices of Divisional Registrars.
44. Attendance of Divisional Registrar at office.
45. Books to be kept by Registrars.
46. Publication of lists or Divisional Registrars and their offices.
47. Power to make rules.
48. Production of books for inspection.
49. Custody of registers.
50. Surrender of records by Registrar on his ceasing to hold office.
51. Correction of clerical errors in registers.
|1400 Acts all updated to 25 October 2013 and available in eight hard cover volumes, on CD ROM and online.|
|Print edition and CD-ROM edition|
|Already a Subscriber